Friday, May 20, 2011

We're Only Normal When We Aknowledge We're Not

Yesterday, well this morning really, I wrote a lengthly and angry response to an article that insulted reenacting. Today, I would like to begin a series of blogs to help the non-reenacting community have a better understanding of the, key word here, AVERAGE Civil War Reenactor. It seems apropos for me to begin with the same advice I gave Teddy and Faith before they attended their respective first events:

If A Reenactor Denies Being Weird/Crazy, He Is.

Actually, I just ran this by Teddy and said "Teddy, if a Reenactor denies being weird or crazy, what does that mean?" Teddy replied, "He's both." Ring, ring, ring! Give the man a prize!

You see, the average Reenactor is aware dressing in wool and camping for three days without showering in July is far from most people's idea of a good time. Do we love our history, you bet we do, but so do "armchair historians." By the way, Dr. L., that's what we living historians call your kind.

As I have mentioned, I am a twenty something year old woman. My most expensive articles of clothing are from the 1860's. I think Victoria's Secret is bananas if they think I'm going to pay $35 for a bra. Last February, I found a great deal on a corset for $100. Am I in the norm for a twenty something? Absolutly not, but see I know that. I CHOOSE to be weird. And that is okay. I'm cool with it, the only thing that bothers me is when other people have something negative about it. Live and let live people. My weirdness doesn't hurt anybody, so what's the big deal?

Now, the thing is there ARE some reenactos out there who get very defensive about the hobby. Here is an example: after an event, if my tin cup is on the counter and I'm thirsty, I'll drink out of it with dinner. However, on any given day, reproduction tinware is not part of my daily place settings. Yes, I have met people who use their reenacting supplies on a regular basis. We average reenactors think that's weird too.

They will argue that is nothing odd about this. Don't argue back. You are wasting your breath. I mean, come on...this person does not acknowledge that it is strange to be using civil war era accoutrements in 2011. Live and let live, but don't judge the rest if us by the one guy's actions. There are extremists in everything. Soon, I will be posting a blog on the spectrum of authenticity among reenactors.

In cinclusion, reenacting is a weird and quirky hobby. Anyone saying otherwise... should not be in charge of serious situations at best and children at worst. However, weird is not synonymous with bad. It is just a different and unique hobby. It is good to different and like it or not, everyone has some interest that is considered weird to others. There are three levels: interest, passion, and obsession. Interest is cool, passion is weird, and obsession is understandable if you start to back away slowly. In civil war reenacting, interested people go to reenactments, passionate people participate, and obsessed people live it when the event is over.

Are there any ideas you have about reenactors that you'd like addressed? Comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment