Sunday, May 8, 2011

A Celebration of Mamas (In honor of Mother's Day)

It is pretty popular in the history community to have "what if" scenarios in history. What if Stonewall Jackson lived? What if JFK hadn't been assassinated? What if Columbus had reached India?


Today let's wonder...What if these historical figures didn't have their Mama?

Did you know?

1) George Washington's Mama wouldn't let him join the Royal Navy? Here's what George had to say, "My mother was the most beautiful woman I ever saw. All I am I owe to my mother. I attribute all my success in life to the moral, intellectual and physical education I received from her."

2) Pablo Picasso's Mama was an art teacher? Here's what Pablo had to say, "My mother said to me, "If you become a soldier you'll be a general; if you become a monk you'll end up as the pope." Instead, I became a painter and wound up as Picasso." 

3) On her deathbed, Abraham Lincoln's mother told her son to be good and kind to his father, sister, and the world? Here's what Abe had to say, "All that I am or ever hope to be, I owe to my angel Mother"

4) Jane Goodall's mother supported her dream of going to Africa? Here's what Jane had to say, "As a small child in England, I had this dream of going to Africa. We didn't have any money and I was a girl, so everyone except my mother laughed at it."

5) When Thomas Edison's mother was told he was "unteachable," she pulled him from the school? Here is what Thomas had to say, "My mother was the making of me. She was so true and so sure of me, I felt that I had someone to live for - someone I must not disappoint. The memory of my mother will always be a blessing to me."

Happy Mother's Day!!!




http://www.dayformothers.com/mothers-day-quotes/mothers-influence.html

2 comments:

  1. Faith had a desire to go to the prom and found the dress of her dreams, but was broke, as usual. While everyone else would have laughed at her unfortunate situation, her mother bought the dress for her. She said of her mother, "If my mother didn't buy this gorgeous dress for me, I would have worn a garbage bag to prom and been scorned forever!" So thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! A mother can only wish for their child to feel the way these people felt, including FAITH.

    ReplyDelete