Sunday, May 29, 2011

I get so frustrated...

I have been so frustrated lately, I've not been writing. As I stated in my first blog ever, I never want Mary's Modern Mishaps to be a blog where I am whining or venting about this, that, or the other thing. Currently though, I am just at my wit's end. I don't have a very high patience level. In fact, when I was in middle school, I thought archeology would be a really cool field to go into...but then I realized how slow the process is. At twelve, I knew this was not the field for me. If I had been science-oriented, I'd probably work on making microwaves and computers that do stuff fast, but, as I just proved, I am not science oriented, at all.
Anyway, it is redundant to say the job market is not a best it's ever been and money has too much power than it ought to. Jobs that are available don't pay enough and bills and taxes cost too much. You are essentially lucky if there is anything leftover from your paycheck once your bills are taken care of. It is also redundant to say that the stress of such things wears on you.

I often try to turn to different times in history to get through tough times and moments of discouragement. Things aren't as bad as the Great Depression. I try to count my blessings and accentuate the positive, lately it's been harder and harder to do so. Sometimes it seems that what I want out of life would have been much more easily attained a hundred or two years ago. I really don't mind penny-pinching, but the lack of progress is driving me bananas. Slow progress is still progress, hard work is still progress, but now, I feel like a hamster in a wheel. Run faster, get nowhere. Run harder, get nowhere. Run longer, get nowhere.

I have run out of ideas and steam and praying for both (and much needed patience) seems to be taking an awfully long time. I'll try to pick up writing this week, but it's Wedding Week for Teddy's sister and fiancee and things are, for a really, really nice change of pace, a happy and exciting busy!

Any suggestions for getting through these moments of frustration? What do you do when you are ready to tear your hair out?

3 comments:

  1. I sew a lot. I'm currently working on a completely handsewn 16th century Tudor gown. Right now, I'm working on the embroidery for the collar and cuffs. As you know, Shaun and I have been flat broke for the past six months, and going out and actually doing fun stuff is pretty much out of the question, so I said screw it the other day and bought a couple of yards of fabric at a discount fabric store (So it's white cotton and not linen, hopefully no one at faire will be looking at my underwear haha) and I started making a chemise for my dress. If you'renot used to sewing all the time, the construction of pieces can get really frustrating, so you might wanna start with small embroidery pieces. I like instant gratification, so if I can finish a short embroidered piece fairly quickly, I feel better about that than if I'm working for months on a fully constructed gown. With this project, I'm getting the best of both worlds.

    I also blog on fb if I'm feeling really whiny. Although I've started writing stuff down in an actual journal, because for once in my life, I'm not all that comfortable sharing some of my feelings with the entire world haha.

    And when I'm REALLY frustrated, I go get a tattoo. I don't suggest that though.

    I try to stick with artsy type things, because I spend so much of my life working with chemicals and biological science-y things, that it's nice to escape from it once in a while.

    Hope you're feeling better. Congrats to Greg's sister and her fiance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Today at church, the priest was talking about being joyful and happy. He said that happiness comes and goes throughout your life but joyfulness is spiritual and comes from deep within your soul. Try to find joyful moments to reflect upon when the going gets tough. Try to be happy more than not. Find your true passion and run with it. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music. Let me know if you need some nice hipster tunes.

    ReplyDelete