Sunday, May 22, 2011

Aren't You Hot In That?

Um, yes, yes I am. It is 93 degrees out and I am not only in a long sleeved dress, but I also have seven layers on. You are sweating in your shorts and tank top, of course I'm hot! The question you are really trying to ask is: how do you deal with being hot? Or: why have all those clothes on if it's so hot out?


First, I'll answer those questions. One, you don't exert yourself and if you do, you make yourself cooler if possible. For example, sometimes at battle reenactments I do something called Ice Angel-ing. Women and children go out on the field during battle and provide ice and water for the soldiers waiting in ranks and those who have been "wounded." When I do this it is without hoops, bare minimum undergarments, and, in extreme weather women are told not to wear corsets. Otherwise you keep from overheating just as you do today, drink lots of water and Gatorade. Skip the caffeine. Stay in shade and lie down if you feel the beginning of heat stroke. In the summer, I often soak my apron in ice water and wipe down my face throughout the day.

Why do we put up with it? The simple answer is it's part of the job. You take the good with the bad. Also, these are the clothes people wore in the 1860's. I can't go about changing into shorts and t- shirts and still pretend I'm accurately portraying the Civil War. Furthermore, I put my outfit on at seven in the morning. It was cooler then, and my body temperature is adjusting to the temperature increase gradually.

Of course you can always say, "Some men think so."

No comments:

Post a Comment