Thursday, May 19, 2011

Top Ten Non-History Things I'm Passionate About

Okay, so after a few minor, medical setbacks...I have some catching up to do. First of all, I just have to say WOW about my last post! Civil War at Allaire State Park is my most popular post to date with almost triple the hits the next most popular post. The event was really quite nice...weather was kind of touch and go for a while, but the troops persevered.


Second, as much as I love history...I'm kinda tired or writing about it. I've been doing some lazy day web-surfing and realize that there are a lot of things out there that I'm pretty darn passionate about BESIDES history. I know my blog focuses on that passion, but if I had all the time in the world, here are my Top Ten other topics I could blog about too. So, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, my:

Top 10 Non-History Things I'm Passionate About:

1. Autism Awareness. It really ticks me off when people who are ignorant about the condition make assumptions. Please check out this fantastic blog: Ido in Autismland and the trailer HBO's movie on Temple Grandin:

2. Recycling. Before I was crazy about history, I was totally in love with science and animals and saving the earth. This was before seventh grade science class and my personal discovery of cells. I loved science when it was full of magic and wonder...I guess I just never saw the appeal in knowing how flowers worked, so to speak...I just wanted to help them grow. Anyway, recyling is something that stuck with me. Its so easy to do, I don't know why people DON'T do it. Babysteps and we can change the world, people!

3. The Oppression of the Irish People. I took a college course in Irish history and for a while, Harper thought I was going to join the IRA. Then, the course went into what the IRA is like today (RIRA, to be accurate) and my support there kinda ended. BUT, IRA in the 1910-1920...big time supporter, right here. I've always been a supporter of the underdog and Ireland is the epitome of underdogs. I am 6.5% Irish-American, but I'd be a supporter for the unification of the 32 counties regardless. If you really want to get me in a tizzy, ask me about the Potato "Famine"...you know, I'll save my breath, read this poem. To be fair, I guess this kind of is history...

4) Bullying. I. Hate. Bullies. I honestly can't even tell you where this stemmed from. When I was in elementary school, I used to stand up to bullies quite frequently. Maybe it's the underdog thing again, but I cannot stand seeing someone get bullied. It drives me insane. Bullying and misconceptions about Ireland are the two things where Teddy will say, "Oh no, here she goes!" The only thing worse than a bully in my book, is a bystander. I can't even type coherantly thinking about how angry this makes me.

5) Veterans/Patriotism: When the American Flag goes by, you put your hand over your heart and you salute it. End of story. News stories about high schools refraining from the pledge of allegiance make my blood curdle. Same thing goes for disrespecting veterans. I always donate to the VFW and love to get the Buddy Poppies. If you aren't familiar with the story behind the poppy, please watch this video:


6. Pine Ridge Reservation. Pine Ridge is a Reservation in South Dakota for the Sioux Nation. The conditions there are horrifying. This happens in our country and we hear nothing about it. The Government stole their land centuries ago and still, nothing is done to aid these people. I am a member of the Friends of Pine Ridge Reservation group. Please visit their site and see how you can help: http://www.friendsofpineridgereservation.org/

7. Elephants. I really, really love elephants. I collect them. My favorite movie was Dumbo when I was little and my mom used to sing "Baby Mine" to me as a lullaby. I wonder if that is where my hatred of bullying started...

8. Journal-keeping. I have kept a daily journal since I was 16. I am currently on my 24th. I originally started writing them because I had a hard time believing my parents *really* knew what it was like to be 16. Well, my kids will never have to doubt that about their mom. I fully intend to let my daughters read them.

9. Scrapbooking/Photgraphing. Okay, I am not artsy at all. This fetish comes strictly from the history side of me. I feel the need to record everything for...um...my unborn kids? I don't know. When I was younger, I would imagine someday being famous for whatever purpose (that was never important) and when I wrote my autobiography, everything would be nice and orderly already.

10) Traveling. I could seriously spend my life blogging about travel. Sadly, I would be very poor...unless, someone out there would like to hire me to do that for their magazine or website. Teddy and I joke about my "gypsy" blood, but I really am very happy to be a rover. Last Fall, we went on fave day road trip...I literally slept in a different place 6 out of 7 nights and LOVED it.


No comments:

Post a Comment