Monday, May 9, 2011

Ghosts vs Zombies

I have been coerced into watching Zombieland. I do not like zombie movies. I do not like movies that take place in the future. So, I choose ghosts every time. Maybe its a future vs past thing or something like that. I suppose it could be something like, hey, if I met a ghost, I would probably try to talk to it. Could there be anything closer to history than talking to a ghost? Zombies not so much. Possibly because zombies never seem to talk.

I know the fad today is zombie, zombie, zombie, but I just can't catch on. Now, in the history field it is inevitable that someone will ask my opinion on ghosts. Do you believe or don't you? It used to be a dreaded topic for me because, honestly, I don't like to talk about it unless I know how the other party feels. When you work in old buildings, you hear all sorts of creaks and groans. I can't speak for all historians/reenactors/history buffs, but I have a vivid and wild imagination. It can be very easy to let your imagination get the better of you.

You meet some people who think ghosts are a load of malarky. Others swear on their grandmother's grave they have lived in a haunted house. It is wonderful to talk to both kinds of people. I avoid giving my opinion, but I will happily share a story about a weird happening that I couldn't explain and I will also discuss the "scientific" proof behind common ghost stories. (I use "scientific" in quotes because I'm not sure I classify, a gust of wind as scientific proof.)

Before I share my opinion on life after death and other-worldly beings, what are yours?

2 comments: