Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bedtime Bliss

Today, I bought new sheets. I also went to a seminar at Rutgers University on Email Marketing and networked, so if I have any new readers...hi! Welcome, I enjoyed the seminar and talking with you today. I'm in for the social media seminar they say they will host in a few weeks, are you? The seminar was very nice, today...but email marketing isn't a step that I am quite ready to take yet. Since it was a free seminar and the suggested content of the emails was of value, I felt it was well worth my time. But back to those sheets...

I washed 'em and dried 'em and made up my bed and I am so very excited to go to sleep, it's not even funny. Before I go though, I thought I'd write a quick note in honor of my beloved bed.

Ahem. Let me start by saying, I am in my twenties. My peers easily stay up until three in the morning. I used to too. I still can if I so wish. Over the years, however, I have learned something about myself. I need my sleep. I need at LEAST eight hours of sleep and a large cup of coffee to be human come morning. I can go for a few days on little sleep, but I reach a breaking point and when I do, look out.

Just before Teddy and I headed out for Neshaminy...literally, the morning we headed out...Teddy realized he couldn't find his queen size air-mattress. Yes, while camping and reenacting the Civil War, we use an air-mattress. You can judge. I don't care. I used to use a cot and NEVER slept well because regardless of the season, I would be cold at night. When Teddy started sharing a tent with me, things were much better because his body temperature is like 101 F. Whereas mine is like...oh, 30 F. He's like a human space heater. The first winter we were together, he used to joke that I'd leave him come summer because I wouldn't need his heat.

Anyway, last year, Teddy won an amazing queen sized air-mattress at a golf outing. I mean, this mattress was like a full-on bed. We brought sheets and a quilt and had a really good nights sleep. I, as you may recall, had been severely sleep deprived since I had been up cooking til the metaphoric cows came home and had gotten up early to finish cooking. To hear the air-mattress was missing was NOT the news I wanted to hear. Teddy suspected the mattress had wandered on over to Phil's apartment. Well, at 8:30 in the morning, it is not terribly likely that Phil was awake. I'm fairly certain steam was coming from my ears as I thought about how Phil was sleeping, in a bed, while I was awake and apparently not catching up on sleep in the near future because Phil was asleep...it was a vicious circle of thoughts that basically can be summed up with: Mary=no sleep, Phil=currently asleep and preventing Mary from getting good sleep for day four in a row. This was my mood.

Teddy didn't want to bother calling Phil, our hopes were so futile, but I insisted and, further proof that there is a God, Phil actually picked up. True, he had been sleeping, but hope was restored! We were able to get the mattress and I was assured a comfortable bed for the weekend.

Or was I?

Of course, we didn't fill the mattress until it was time for bed and while I was sitting on the mattress taking off my shoes, I was dimly (because I was seriously dragging at this point) aware that the bed seemed much squashier then I remember. Sure enough, when I pressed my ear to the mattress, the dreaded hiss of air confirmed a leak. We decided to fill the bed and hope for the best through the course of the night.

We woke up on the ground.

Next event, we're bringing egg-crate bedrolls.

1 comment:

  1. For future reference - I live 20 minutes from Neshaminy. You could've just called me and I'd have brought you my airbed :-p

    ReplyDelete