Friday, May 13, 2011

Civil War at Allaire State Park

Hooray, I am finally able to get on Blogger again! Let's chalk it up to another modern mishap. Today will be a short post as I have a chance to go to sleep early tonight and do not want to miss it! I have been busy all day setting up an exhibit at Allaire Village for the Civil War Encampment weekend tomorrow and Sunday. You should check it out.

I love setting up exhibits. If I ever went back to school, there is a very high probability that I would master in exhibit design. Of course, the downfall is I like to set up exhibits *my* way...which sometimes is frowned upon. However, today I had lots of fun setting up an exhibit on Civil War stuff in the Enameling Building at Allaire Village in Farmingdale, New Jersey. It will be open this weekend from 12-4 and includes all sorts of neat items ranging from reproduction clothing to commemorative souveniers to actual artifacts. I was particurlarly intersted in the Union Infantry button found at Fredricksburg, on loan from Teddy. I really like the commemorative stuff too, I think it's because I'm a souvenier junkie myself.

Anyway, if you are in New Jersey and have a free day this weekend, the event will definitely be worth your while. The event is quite unique as it represents Camp Olden, essentially a training ground for new troops. This year, so Confederates have joined the event (last year, it was only boys in blue), President Lincoln and Mary Todd Lincoln will be present, and several sutlers will be open for shopping. Again, be sure to check out the exhibit in the Enameling Building and pick up one of my business cards while you're there!

If you feel the urge to buy some Civil War Paraphanelia and have no use for it, my mailing address can be found on my website at http://www.maryshistoricalprograms.com/. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment