Thursday, June 9, 2011

I Should Probably Be More Upset...

I was laid off this morning. Not, traditionally, the best way to start the day. Naturally, I am concerned about paying my bills and making ends meet and all the possible scenarios of what could go wrong, but as I was given the news...I started to smile. SMILE! Who does that???

Well, I do, apparently...much to the confusion of the people giving me the news. You see, my job was crushing me. I had hopes and dreams when I took it, but were never going to come to fruition. My stress levels were unnecessarily high, to the point that my doctor had been telling me to find a new job since last fall, and I dreaded getting up in the morning. It was not uncommon for me to cry myself to sleep Tuesday nights (my schedule was Wednesday through Sunday). I knew I should be grateful that I had a job in such a poor economy, but when the job was taken away I was so relieved to be out of it.

I wanted to quit so badly because I was so discouraged, but it seemed so selfish of me, so I plugged on. Also, I have a (usually good) trait of never giving up. I'm really hard headed and I had long-suspected I would never quit on my own. I am so grateful, now, that I have been laid off, because I have a whole world a head of me. I no longer have the shackles confining me to a job that made me miserable for so long and, on top of that, I will never have to feel like I failed the place.

I don't suppose many people are thankful that their boss laid them off, but I am. In fact, it's the best move he ever made for me!

On a related note, if you catch wind of any history/creative/writing/volunteer coordinating jobs, do pass them on! I've been sending resumes here and there all afternoon and even secured an interview on Monday. Wish me luck!

6 comments:

  1. Well Mary, remember that when one door closes, another opens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true! Thanks for the kind words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you keep volunteering?????

    ReplyDelete
  4. It all depends on where I land in the next few months! Volunteering, anywhere, can't be a priority when you've got bills to pay and dreams to make come true! My email is still up and running, so please shoot me a message if you want my contact info!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck Mary, you were one of the bright spots when dealing with the administration at Allaire!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mary, we will miss you terribly! You have been a source of inspiration to us. Lauren was lucky to have you as a mentor for the past four years. Best of luck in all you do. Hopefully we can keep in touch!!! The Picone Family

    ReplyDelete