Monday, June 20, 2011

Figuring Out What You Want to Do With Your Life: Part Two

I know what you're thinking: How does an unemployed person not find the time to blog daily? Well, there is a long and short answer. The long answer I will save for another post. The short answer is, I have a lot of things I can do now that I am free from an office for the brunt of my week (I need a lot of sleep, so 40 hours of awake time is the brunt of my week).
So, first and foremost, Happy Father's Day, to all the dads out there! Although, it will be the day after Father's Day when this is published. It's the thought that counts.

Second, sadly Clarence "Big Man" Clemons passed away Saturday from complications following a stroke. I am a born and bred Jersey Girl, but I know some of my readers are from out of state and out of country, so take a minute to enjoy Clemons' amazing sax skills in 10th Avenue Freezeout. I am blessed to have seen Clemons play in concert twice. Although I never had the pleasure to meet him, I have heard he was a very warm and kind person.

Finally, I wish to conclude my blog from several days ago.

So. Suddenly, you are faced with a college degree and loans to repay that are much higher than the average starting salary and it dawns on you...what are you going to be??? If you were fortunate (or unfortunate in this economy!) to have majored in say, education, you have a pretty good chance of becoming a teacher. Let's say you majored in, oh, history. Well, my friend, to put it politely...you're sunk. You see, a history degree is valued in a museum, but it often needs to be a Masters or Doctorate, so you're looking at more school if that's your dream. It will also help you get into Law School if your grades are good enough, but, again more school. Oh, and if you didn't dual major in Education, it's back to school if you want to be a History Teacher.

Well, I'm sick of school and none of those jobs really appeal to me. There are a whole realm of jobs that just require "a four year degree." These jobs consist mainly of occupations you have never heard of until you started looking FOR a job. Job titles that your childhood friend's dad held, but you never knew what it was. I remember once saying to my dad I wasn't sure what I could do with a history degree and he scoffed and said, "You can do anything you want with it, you can slice bologna with a history degree!" I went off feeling relieved. In retrospect, I should have taken that as a warning...it appears I CAN slice bologna with a history degree. Sadly, the compensation for doing so will not prove lucrative...or sustainable.

So, what SHALL I do with my life? Well, right now I'm breaking down what I liked and didn't like about my job. I might dedicate an entire post to that in the near future. I'm also considering what I want out of life. My old job bled into my personal life much, much too much and I don't want to make that mistake again. I want to be able to walk out the door on Friday and enjoy my weekend. I do not want to wake up in the middle of the night with a gasp going, "I FORGOT TO CALL IN THE ALARM!" No more sending emails at 3 in the morning.

I know that I want to do something that matters. I do like a non-profit if it is truly a non-profit to benefit others. I am not interested in making money. I want to be able to pay my bills, get married, and raise a family. If I go my whole life without wearing Vera Wang or driving a mercedes, I'll not only survive, I will thrive. This song kind of sums up how I feel about that.

Another thing I know is that I want to work with people. Preferably kids and teens, but I'm not terribly fussy. I love being a mentor and watching kids grow in their progress. One of the kids who volunteered at my job placed in her school spelling bee...I clipped the article and had it tacked on my bulletin board. It was funny that I was so jaded with my life in my whopping twenties, and kids in high school inspired me with their bright outlook on life. I loved it. I loved knowing that I was able to influence another person.

The last bit of, shall we say, criteria, is no office. Blech. I do not want to be stuck in a chair in front of a computer. Nobody accomplishes anything that way. I don't care who you are. You need to be up and moving and seeing and doing. I would love to be a tour guide of some sort. If I thought I were smart enough, I would consider becoming a liscensed battlefield tour guide, but that's tough. Really, really tough.

I don't want to jump at the first job that comes along just because it's a job that pays. I've been there and done that and was miserable. Right now, I'm keeping my options open and my outlook as positive as can be. I have a program next Saturday at the Sayreville Public Library, which is super exciting and I'm going to be sending out another mailing, hopefully, this week. I will keep you posted!

So, what do you think I should be now that I'm *gasp* grown up? Remember, 1) helps people/animals/community 2) Works WITH people 3) No office. Okay....SUGGEST!

1 comment:

  1. The nonly piece of experience I can give is find something you love to do,because as my best friend always said to me "I do not want to live with a man who hates his job. While I have had a number of jobs over the years I fell lucky that most of the times I was in a job that I enjoyed.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete