Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday Night Movie Review: How it Works


My Friday Night Movie Reviews are, first and foremost, my opinion. I will try to be diplomatic in my reviews and explain the ratings I give in each category. The highest Overall Score a movie can receive is 100, unless, it is based on a true story, in which case it will receive the highest Overall Score of 90.
Categories are as follows:

Historical Event Accuracy: Pretty plain and simple, if a Civil War picture has soldiers wielding AK47's, well, it's not going to get a very good review.
Plausibility: Void when based off true events/an autobiography, this covers the likelihood of an event taking place. The move "Point Break" could possibly get a negative score here.
Costume Authenticity: Again, pretty plain and simple, if your minuteman is sporting a powdered wig, you fail.
Historical Violence: Watching a Vietnam War film, I expect people will get blown up. Watching a film about  the Industrial Revolution, one person being sucked into a loom graphically is quite enough to get the point across.
Stomach Turning Violence: This rating is the opposite of all others. The LESS violent it is the higher the score. As aforementioned, a war movie is supposed to be violent, as war is violent. However, if I wanted to see the graphics of someone being shot in the head (especially after the fact), I'd be a ER doctor in the slums, or go to war, or be a hit man or something. Yuck.
Acting Quality:
This is an example of really bad acting in historical movie.
Story Line: History has a bad rep for being boring, but it doesn't have to be. That's the goal here, be authentic and don't be boring.
Eye Candy: Paul Giamatti's "John Adams" series was great to watch, Giamatti was not great to look at for that long.
Music: Sound tracks can make a movie...or ruin it.
Cinematography: I'm no film guru, but I can tell a really cool scene when I see it based on camera angles, etc.
Overall Score: Self explanatory, a total of the categories.

No comments:

Post a Comment