Friday, August 12, 2011

Working through the Muddle

I should start by saying I have absolutely no time to be blogging right now, but I'm going to anyway. I will be heading off to Collingwood Flea Market in a few minutes to go exploring with Phil and Duke. It promises to be an interesting experience. As you have probably picked up from my post earlier this week, I do not like to wait. I'm also not very good at it. While I am trying to refrain from going absolutely insane hoping my dream job will call and/or waiting for a few more days to pass before I can call them, I've been trying to bury myself in projects and other activities. Hence, this next week is going to absolute mayhem...and why I'm going out with Phil and Duke shopping. I'm clearly desperate. While I love both those boys, they aren't exactly who comes to mind as antiquing buddies.

On Wednesday, I went to the boyfriend's softball playoffs with my 1920's opera glass. Not to help me see, but rather to begin the awesomely rewarding, yet daunting job of shining those suckers up. Two days and lots of elbow grease later, I have made another stride towards what type of antiques I want to focus in: dirty ones. Metal is nice too. I like to make things shiny. Seriously, I still have a little work to go on the opera glasses, but I too before pictures and let me tell you, they look new. Turns out they are brass and embossed silver. Personally, I find all historic things cool and worth a fortune, but once these glasses were shined up, I could definitely see the value in them from a non-history geek's point of view.

I am still doing a lot of reading on the current status of antiques of all types, but I'm starting to itch more and more to jump in and get my hands dirty, both literally and figuratively. I am starting to seriously entertain the thought of renting a building at New Egypt's Flea Market. They are so amazing and you can do whatever you want on the inside, plus you can work there for as long as you like it seems, even after the public has gone. My big concern is renting a place and not making the rent back, let alone a profit. Just another possibility to bounce around, I guess.

Okay, so as I said the next few days are a pretty crazy through next week. I will try to post if/when I am able, but here is a quick rundown:
8/12: Collingwood with Phil and Duke
8/13: Boyfriend's cousin's birthday celebration
8/14: Boyfriend's family reunion
8/15: Meeting in the am, Mary's Historical Programs show in Monroe in pm.
8/16: Helping Sister 2 set up class room
8/17: Selling at New Egypt Flea
8/18: Preparing and possibly leaving for Vermont.
8/19-8/22: Exploring the North East Kingdom and visiting the General and his Mrs.
8/23: Mary's Historical Programs

Oh, then New Jersey Smith come home that week! So, its back to pretending to be engaged and wedding planning. As NJS is a frequent traveller who lives in Baltimore, we pretend the boyfriend and I are engaged so we can do pre-wedding stuff together while she is in the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment