Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mary's Top Ten Favorite Things to do in Gettysburg

This is a special blog that goes out to the "P. Family." They are taking a family vacation to Gettysburg later this month and have asked my (oh, I'll say it) expert opinion. I'm going so far as to say expert opinion as I have been visiting Gettysburg for the past ten years. I attended Gettysburg College my freshman year in 2006 and spent the time I really should have been studying exploring all sorts of nooks and crannies of the town. Since the boyfriend (who doesn't like to be called Teddy and won't just pick another alias because he like to be difficult) and I started dating, we've gone to the 'burg, as locals, college alums, and reenactors call it, at least twice a year.


This blog gives me a double advantage as I was about to begin my series of Gettysburg trip blogs. This gives me a nice introduction to that. So, if you have never been to Gettysburg or haven't been recently, you will find it is something of a cross between a mecca and a Disney world for Civil War buffs. However, those of use who have been around the block a time or two know that if it seems too good to be true, it is. First, let me say that Gettysburg is awesome. Let me follow that with: Gettysburg is a major tourist trap...and, boy, do people get trapped.

This list can really be given twice. Once for first time visitors who are going Civil War exploring cold-turkey and one for people who are somewhat versed in the history already. This list caters to both...for a more detailed experience, be sure to read the whole description. Also, this list is tailored to the "P Family" in some regard...the activities and attractions are catered to Family Vacation.

Mary's Top Ten Favorite Things to Do in Gettysburg

1) Tour the battlefield. What's the point of going if you don't do this? My very first trip, I went to Gettysburg dumber than a bag of rocks about the Civil War entirely. My favorite activity was the open-topped bus tours. I loved being up on the roof and the audio was a pleasant introduction to the battle fit for all ages. It is also extremely convenient to have a guide to tell you when to stop and see things. In February 2010, boyfriend and I spent Valentine's Day morning on a bus tour with a Licensed Battlefield Tour Guide. They are a fabulous source of information and will share stories you will not hear anywhere else. I highly recommend their bus tours for people with a basic knowledge of the history. When boyfriend and I went with Faith two weeks ago, we gave her the much more affordable not-licensed Battlefield Tour. Anyone who wants to bring me along on their Family Vacation is more than welcome to. I work for free so long as you provide us to get out there. I even pay for my own hotel room.

2) Before you go, rent and watch Gettysburg. There are people who will swear Gettysburg is the greatest Civil War movie of all time. I am not one of them. I will tell you that Gettysburg is my favorite movie. I never tire of watching it and I believe it is extremely well made. However, these are not the reasons I recommend it before your trip. I recommend it because in today's day and age, we are very visual people. The movie was filmed in large part on location, so when you are standing on Little Round Top, trying to visualize what was happening, you will have a better understanding having seen the movie. When I went for the first time, my parents made me watch the film and I was hooked before we went. The biggest and most important reason I recommend this movie though, is because it has barely any blood or swearing. I have an extremely high tolerance of both of these in war movies, but Gettysburg portrays what happened in 1863 in a way that children as young as 8-10 will understand the magnitude as well as parents. I cannot recommend this enough.

2.5) You will see the movie for sale everywhere in Gettysburg. On the outskirts of town, there is a Wal-mart that always carries it as well. It is $9.99 in Wal-mart. It is $29.99 in the souvenir shops. You're welcome.

3). The Cyclorama. The Cyclorama is a 360 degree painting of the battle of Gettysburg painted in the late 1800s and based from the descriptions of veterans of the battle. Recently, the Cyclorama has been renovated and a new presentation has been put together to view it. It is the most stunning attraction in Gettysburg. The first time I saw the new presentation, I was nearly moved to tears. The painting is absolutely breathtaking and the technology used to literally bring the painting to life is awesome. I mean, it actually leaves you in awe. Over everything else in the town, if you could only enter one building in Gettysburg, choose the Cyclorama. It is my favorite. On a side note, you can view the Cyclorama as part of a package with the Visitor's Center and a film. I do not care for the film, I feel like it focuses too much on slavery which is unnecessary at the Gettysburg Battlefield National Park...it should focus on the battle, but it is well produced and narrated by Morgan Freeman. I really don't like the Visitor's Center. I am of the old school, looking at things in cases sort of museum girl. The new Visitor's Center is state of the art. There are buttons to push and interactive displays. Every time I go into it, I ache for the old Visitors Center. I used to go and study in there and wander around amid the cannons and relics. I loved that Visitor's Center.

4) General Pickett's Buffet: I have never visited Gettysburg and not eaten at Pickett's. It's a Gettysburg classic. If you are lucky Robin will be your waiter and if it's not too busy, he'll share some stories. In the front hallway, there are many photos from when Gettysburg was filmed with notes from the actors. The price is very affordable and the food is delicious. I've never fully grasped the policy, but I do know that the first time a child goes to Pickett's, he or she will receive a free postcard. I'm not sure if this is just Robin's policy or if it's only for kids on their first visit, but I do know that I got one when I came at 13 and was thrilled when Robin gave Faith hers. Tradition is warm and fuzzy.

5) Steinwehr Avenue: The "main" road in Gettysburg is full of sutlers, tourist souvenir shops, themed restaurants, ice cream parlors, and ghost tour stations. Any given weekend (and a lot of week days) reenactors just come to visit in uniform. I love being able to walk up and down Steinwehr Ave in the evenings after dinner. Stop by Kilwin's (greatest ice cream in town, but quite pricey) for a cone (Sunset, right next door is also good) and if you are lucky a period band will be playing in front of O'Rourke's. There is pipe tobacco and an electric vibe in the air. Since they just finished re-cobbling (is that a word?) the sidewalks, there's no real risk of not watching where you are going anymore either.

6) The Gettysburg National Cemetery: This absolutely beautiful and peaceful cemetery is a must see. Endless rows of Civil War soldiers killed in the battle, from Gettysburg, and from additional wars stretch on and on. After a while the 50,000 casualties becomes old news, stop by the cemetery when that stops sounding like a massive number. Be sure to notice the number of stones that only say "Unknown." Also, find the spot where Abraham Lincoln gave the Gettysburg Address on November 19, 1863 dedicating the cemetery. It is a humbling and rewarding experience.

7) Abraham Lincoln and Perry Como: Okay, a little explaining here. If you walk all the way down Steinwher Avenue, you will come to "The Square." The square is full of little shops and restaurants...I enjoy 17 on the Square for antiques and boyfriend is fairly obsessed with McClellan's Tavern (although the Spinach Artichoke dip is to DIE FOR). Also located in the square is a statue of Lincoln with a modern-day guy. My dad feels the modern guy bares an uncanny resemblance to Perry Como, so now that's what I call the statue. A photo here is practically a must. Hmm, apparently my dad's not the only one to think this, who knew?

8) Something Non-Civil War: Even the most enthused Civil War buff can need a break and, really, it is summer, lets not make the kids feel like they're in history boot camp. Although Faith did give me the high praise of  "I wish all history classes were like this!" when I referred to our trip as History Class Boot Camp. This past trip, we chose lunch at the Dobbin House Tavern...amazing food and atmosphere...for a hop, skip, and jump back to the colonial period. The Dobbin House dates to the 1700s and is considered one of the top fine dining experiences of the area. I've also greatly enjoyed The Eisenhower Farm which boyfriend still needs to see. Ike actually retired to the Gettysburg area and raised Angus cattle. Who knew? Also, if you haven't heard, I have an elephant obsession...so I finally got boyfriend to take me to Mr. Ed's Elephant Museum in nearby Ortanna. A fun side trip, I don't recall the cost, but for the elephant obsessed like myself, it was definitely worth it. I also bought a new stuffed elephant there for my own collection. I named him Bobo.

9) Ghost Tour: They are hokey and cliche and are like riding It's A Small World at Disney. You have to do it. They're pretty affordable, about $8.00 on average and fun. Occasionally, you'll end up with some wackos on the tour, but for the most part it's just good fun. Personally, I never found them scary, but use your judgement when taking the kids. If you're more stout-hearted do your own ghost tour. Battlefields are closed at 10:00 p.m. but there are some creepy places to be before then. Sachs Bridge is supposed to be a hot spot as are Devil's Den and Spangler's Spring. This, of course, all depends on your view of ghosts as well. My way of thinking, Gettysburg is supposed to be something like the third most haunted place in the world...if you're there, might as well see if there's any truth to it.

10) Quiet Time: It doesn't matter where you find it. If you can snag yourself a stretch in the Wheatfield or if you take an early morning walk in the cemetery, there is no doubt that there is a lot of fun stuff to see and do in Gettysburg. Try your very hardest to grasp the magnitude of what happened there. Fifty thousand people were killed, wounded, captured, or missing in three days. The average age of these people was 19. I hope you have a great time when you visit Gettysburg, but please, please, please remember what happened on the same piece of land that you and your sister are bickering over where to get dinner or your travel companions and you are cussing out the air conditioner for failing in the car. Sometimes, it's important to realize how very insignificant you and your problems are. Catch a sunset at the Eternal Peace Light and look across the horizon from Pickett's Charge to the Union Line, then go back to your hotel and tell your family you love them and be grateful 50,000 Americans gave you the chance to do so.


1 comment:

  1. Number ten made me tear up. I can't wait to go to Gettysburg. And if you don't mind riding in the gross Jeep, you're more than welcome to come. The Boyfriend Formerly Known as Teddy is also invited. haha.

    ReplyDelete