Tuesday, August 9, 2011

I Made My First Pick Today!!!!

It was so amazing. The only downfall was, I don't actually plan on flipping it. I went to Point Pleasant with Faith today and had a fantastic time. First of all, I have to give a shout out to The Beanery, where we went for lunch/breakfast.I love, love, love this place. First time I went I had the bowl of seasonal fresh fruit...if I lived closer and had disposable income, man would i be skinny, cause I'd eat that every day. I love nothing more than fresh fruit, I could dedicate a blog to it.
This blog, however, is dedicated to my circa 1920's opera glasses I nabbed for $12. To be honest, I picked them up because they were just adorable...only about four inches across. When going reenacting, I thought it would be cool to have period looking binoculars to watch the battle. Granted, the 1920s are far cry from the 1860's, but it's better than whipping out a pair of modern day binoculars and find me a quality modern pair for $12. Worst case scenario, someone will ask if they are period binoculars and I can interpret them. I do love to interpret.

I actually had the opera glasses appraised at the shop by a lovely gentlemen who praised my picking eye. The glasses are made by Chevalier in Paris circa the 1910-1920s. They have a few dings and dents, but were estimated at about $85.00. Not bad at all for a first time pick. I was so excited and proud of myself I had the shakes. I wish I were kidding. All I want to do now is go out and do it some more!

I still have a lot, a LOT to learn before I can go ahead and say I am ready to actually start picking. I have been giving myself something of a crash course, reading everything I can on the matter. On top of that, I really ought to pick a niche. Personally, I love furniture. I could hyperventilate over cabinets and sofas all day. Sadly, I live with my parents and therefore, am a tad bit restricted on storage space. I am still narrowing it down...while I like figurines and china, I also really like my boyfriend who is a self (and aptly) proclaimed "stegosaurus in a china shop."

I like historical stuff too. Yes, I know you are shocked beyond reason. Seriously though, take the opera glasses, absolutely no real need for them anymore. I like the thought of having something that needs to be explained. I like that a lot. This is a dangerous area to get into until I have a place of my own and more pocket money. See, the problem with dealing something you really like is, you don't want to part with it. I gravitate towards anything elephant too. I love to collect elephants and they must have been a rage a while back because antique stores are chock full of elephants.

Ideally, I would love for people to tell me what THEY want and I will happily go out and find it and sell it to you. You can even name the price you are will to pay for it first. I will just save you the trouble of having to find it. Wouldn't that be swell? You should definitely email me if interested at maryh@maryshistoricalprograms.com or Facebook message me here,


2 comments:

  1. i have a cane/chair thing that is from the 1939 ny worlds fair. im not really looking to part with it because it has sentimental value, but i would like to have it appraised. if its ok with you and you dont mind, ill send you the info i have and a picture and maybe you could take a look at it for me? it would be much appreciated.

    thanks and i cant wait to hear from you,
    yos

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have a Cane Chair (yup, that's the real name). In pristine condition, Kovel's Antique Price Guide 2011 estimates it's value at about $170.

    http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?46018-1939-New-York-World-s-Fair-cane-chair

    ReplyDelete