Monday, July 18, 2011

A Load of Bull...

Bull Run that is. Yes, the first "real" event of the sesquicentennial is just around the corner, folks. The 150th Anniversary of the Battle of Bull Run (or Manassas) Reenactment is this weekend in Virginia. The majority of Federal Headquarters will be heading down in the next few days, but I won't be leaving Jersey until Thursday night.

I'm in the middle of trying to sort out food for this event and it is not a pleasant situation! Hobbies should not be causing this much agiata. In addition to my usual difficulties with camp cooking, I need to take in Virginia summer weather too. Word on the street, and by street, I mean weather.com, is we're looking at a beautiful, sunny weekend with temperatures in the low 100's.

So, now I get to decide whether to bring pre-cooked food to a field and battle not having refrigeration or do I want to bring uncooked food to the field and cook over a fire. Hmmm. Well, we're going with option number one. Pre-cooked is the way to go! But what to cook?

I'm putting myself before historical authenticity this time around (practicality has to prevail), we're going for hamburgers on the grill Friday (easily remedied for one member who is vegetarian). Saturday dinner, we'll have chicken sandwiches or Caesar salad. Both require minimal cooking over the fire and are easily stored for leftovers. Our big meal of the day is going to be breakfast. Our boys our going to be getting up at the wee early hours of the morning, which means I need to get my delicate derriere out of bed a good hour before them. Looks like I will be sleeping in just undergarments. Ooh~la~la!

I've got yogurt for the morning (authenticity, again, a second priority as camps won't be open to the public), as well as hard boiled eggs, cooked eggs and bacon, danish, biscuits, and more fruit than you can shake a stick at. So help me, someone better provide coffee! Alas, a coffee pot has yet to come into my possession.
Snacks will be fruit, peanuts, and breads. Safely stored away in a freezer will be plenty of Gatorade and water to ward off heat stroke.

Shortly after the menfolk depart, I'm busting out the homemade sangria.

No comments:

Post a Comment