Tuesday, April 12, 2011

It's here, it's here, it's here!!!!

Most teenage girls dream of a certain “special” day. For many, maybe even most, it’s her wedding. Others maybe it’s her prom or her first kiss. For me, it was today: April 12, 2011. Today is the official start of the Civil War Sesquicentennial. At 4:30 in the morning on April 12, 1861, Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard commanded the men that fired on the U.S. Fort Sumter in South Carolina under the command of Robert Anderson, thus starting the war that would rage for four long and bloody years.
Last night was like Christmas Eve when I was a little kid. Teddy and I started watching Ken Burn’s documentary on the Civil War. I couldn’t stay asleep. I had dreams about the Civil War. I even had my alarm set for 4:30. I wanted to be as close to the moment as possible. I wanted to be aware that exactly 150 years ago at this exact moment, history was changed forever.
All through my reenacting career, I have heard stories of the 125th reenactment of Gettysburg, which took place in July 1988. Many reenactors who participated describe as the moment “heaven touched earth.” It is often spoken of in revered tones, with far away looks, as if, for one moment all other reenactors ceased to be and the speaker was one with the soldiers who actually fought at the battle. This feeling is coveted by reenactors, myself included. I’m sure you’re heard of adrenaline junkies, people who are looking for that natural high. Reenactors seek something very similar, we call it “period rush.” A moment of period rush is the feeling of “actually being there” or a sense of achievement that one is as close to the moment as possible. The authenticity is impeccable and one’s imagination has gone into hyper drive. A time vortex that leaves one suspended between then and now. The moments seldom last long. I suppose it could be compared to déjà vu. What I do know is that it supposedly happened to everyone and their grandpa at the 125th Gettysburg reenactment. I took minimal solace by informing these lucky participants that I was only six months old in July of 1988 (actually I was SHY of six months), but their age comes with experience and its experience that I want.
Do I think some sort of magic will happen now that the sesquicentennial has arrived? Of course not. After the 125th anniversary of the war, there was a rise in reenacting. The same is expected, only more so, with the 150th anniversary. To experience it all from the beginning, will make veterans of those of use who started after the 125th. And, for all intent and purpose, I’ll still be young. I guess I sort of feel like someone who is a fan of a band before they become well-known.
I had really hoped to be able to put this into words more easily than I have. One more thing I want to stress though, the 150th anniversary of the American Civil War is not cause for celebration, but rather commemoration. There are plenty of articles floating about the Internet explaining that today. This is not, a happy day, but it is a special one. It is special to me for many reasons. It reminds me that history will not be forgotten, that through all the ups and downs of my life, the Civil War remains. The clothes will not go out of style, the memories will never fade, and the outcome will always be known. It is special because a new generation of reenactors will begin, it’s like a torch is being passed. The effect of the war on America today will be seen. This is an exciting time and I’m excited to be a part of it.

1 comment:

  1. My favorite post so far! You did a wonderful job explaining "period rush" and making your love of what you do clear to those who are not reenactors. Also liked your "commemoration" vs. "celebration" point. My favorite of your blog posts so far!

    ReplyDelete