Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Here we go!

Today, I had my very first show as a business! Teddy came with me and took photos while I presented. This was exceptionally helpful, as my Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/home.php) and my website (www.maryshistoricalprograms.com) were seriously lacking in the photograph department. Fortunately, I have rectified this as of about ten minutes ago. Unfortunately, I was not
terribly photogenic. I will use the age-old “blame the weather”…rain was definitely recruiting serious frizz, but to be honest, I make ridiculous faces when talking. Well, as a public speaker, I’ve learned to laugh at myself. Later this week, I will post some of the less flattering photos, mid-talk, with the captions I shared with Teddy online earlier. For the “real” photos, please do check out Facebook and/or the website. I don’t think I have doubles on the pages…but it is late and I am tired, so I may have one or two that are on both.

Also, I’d love some feedback on the dress. It’s new (yay!) I just bought it in February. Having recently become company cook for my unit, I needed to get a work dress. For those of you not in the reenacting/history buff community, that means a dress that doesn’t have that classic huge skirt of the era. As you can probably imagine, cooking over an open fire with a long skirt poses a safety risk. Coupling that risk with the hoop skirt is asking for trouble since the hoops basically act as a chimney. Not my ideal way to go, so I used a gift card I got for my college graduation and bought a new corset (the one being shown in the photos) and my first store bought dress. Everything else I own, as far as clothing is concerned, has been made my mother. I’m hoping to master a sewing machine in the near future and start working on my own accessories. I thought I might start with a second set of undergarments. Thoughts?

Back to the program, obviously, it was at a senior center, a rather nice one at that. The audience varied in age and condition, which made the program a little rough but not too bad. There were a few audience members who were quite interested in the program and actively participated. Whenever I present, I like to make it more a discussion then a speech. I also enjoy incorporating stories from my personal experiences. This is something I realized I preferred as a student and have had great success when incorporating it in my programs. What do you when you attend a presentation, meeting, speech?

Oh, after my program, I met up with Sister 1, who is also a blogger on…Blogger (that’s not confusing) and she shared some pointers. You can now follow via email and receive email updates. That jibberish at the bottom of this post is a code that lets people find me on a blog search engine whose name evades me now. I think that puts me one up on the modern technology today.


QVJ2XXKBTUGH

3 comments:

  1. Like the dress! Congrats on your first show!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy the show went well. I'm secretly (well, not so secretly anymore, I guess) planning on finding a way to sneak into one of your presentations, but I suppose I'll have to wait until I find a place where I blend in a bit more than the one you visited yesterday. It's probably late enough in the spring that you could start reaching out to summer camps...I, for one, would have loved listening to a living historian when I was younger (especially a girl in a pretty dress).

    Speaking of pretty dresses, I love your new one. I think if I had known about Allaire when I was younger, I would have been right there with you. I get envious just walking around the village...I want to wear one of those bad boys in the worst way. When I was in plays in the 6-8ish grades (and when I was a little girl who just wore cute dresses), my Nana made a whole bunch of beautiful costumes for me based off of historically accurate patterns. If you wanted another person to give you sewing pointers, I'm sure she'd be happy to.

    Ok, I believe this comment is excessively long, especially compared to Hannah's. I'm done now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, I think you look so "natural" in the period costumes. I think that blue dress you had in your first avatar is so beautiful on you!
    I would also love to see one of your presentations. I was always intrigued by the clothes - I would love to see that one someday.

    ReplyDelete