Friday, September 16, 2011

Why I Wish it Were 1911 Instead of 2011

The other day, I, feeling slightly melodramatic, sighed heavily and announced, "I wish we lived a hundred years ago!" Boyfriend (a well-known television/Internet company's newest and, in my humble opinion, best employee), well-used to my dramatic ways, patiently asked why. Not to disappoint, I said, "Because my life would be perfect if it were 1911." Understandably, Boyfriend countered with the well-thought response of "No, it wouldn't." "Actually," I replied, giving semi-logical thought to my statement, "as long as we didn't step foot on the Titanic next year, we would be in pretty good shape."
The more I thought about this, the more, at the moment at least, did 1911 begin to appeal to me. First off, being a history aficionado, wishing to go back in time happens about every other day. Clothes would be amazing in 1911, there would be a fair amount of underwear, but I could deal with that. Check out this gorgeous evening gown!

Second, Boyfriend and I could be married. I am one year away from being an old maid during the Civil War, so I am prime marrying age in 1911. Also, weddings weren't the big hoopla people make them today. I legitimately dread planning my actual wedding and have long told my mother that the first person to ask if I prefer ecru to cream to off-white has a high probability of being punched in the face. Forget picking linens and bridesmaids dresses and center pieces and venues, simple church wedding (or a parlor) and a family picnic. The highlight would be the photograph...not photographs and videographers. ...This really is starting to get appealing.

Third, not only will the economy not be awful in 1911, but I wouldn't even have to worry about getting a job. As the oldest son of an educated family, Boyfriend (fast-forwarded to husband since a courtship would not have lasted two years in 1911) has attended college and is therefore automatically white collar and, based on my suspicions of his personality, is either in politics or maybe investing in the new fangled automobile. Boyfriend is a pretty forward thinking fellow, he stays on top of todays politics, new technology, and is often thinking of the future. Assuming his personality is the same in 1911, I would be free to support women's rights (as long as didn't act like Mrs. Whitman) and doing some good charity work.

I would be very much okay with a woman's "place" in 1911, as well. I'll save a women's lib and women in history spiel for another blog, but women can read, write, and, essentially, do everything I enjoy doing during this time period. Anyone out there who wants to give me the "oh, but you can't have a job and have to rely on your husband for money" spiel, bring it. I'll take a day of doing the hobbies I enjoy over a day at work any time.

"What about World War I?" worried Boyfriend. "Boyfriend, dear," I reminded, "You will be way too old for the military!" By the time, The Great War, as we would know it, started Boyfriend would be more than thirty. In 1911, that's about the equivalent of fifty in military standards. Our sons would be too young presuming they were all born between 1912 and 1925, only the youngest would run the risk of being in WWII. Sure, we'd have to face the Great Depression, but guess what, the economy stinks now too.

I could really do without the computers and cell phones, too. Kiss our cars in mass abundance goodbye and, therefore, sky high gas prices. College loans? Nonsense, as I wouldn't have gone to college (I'm a bit jaded from having to pay thousands upon thousands of dollars for an apparently worthless degree). Let's be honest here, I majored in history. Class was reading a book and then talking about it, so not worth thousands of dollars and so very doable in 1911.

Maybe some of my views today stem from my current frustrations, but for the most part, I would rather we take a few steps back to simpler times. It is very possible I would get bored rather quickly in 1911, although my initial image of Boyfriend and me as Jim Dear and Darling from Lady and the Tramp does seem fun. If you could live in another time period, even for a little while, when would you choose?

2 comments:

  1. Of course, our high gasoline prices are all due to Henry Ford. The main product of crude oil in 1911 was kerosene for the oil lamps (that were starting to fall out of favor due to that new-fangled invention, the electric light bulb). Ford chose the waste product from the refineries of the time, a somewhat more flammable part of the crude oil known as naphtha, which we call gasoline once it's out of the refinery. The rest, as you would say, is history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You SHOULD have a wedding as they did in 1911! Use that big back yard or park and rent a big tent. It would be novel, fun, and a lot less expensive than the weddings people put together today!

    ReplyDelete