Monday, February 6, 2012

Why are Weddings So Insane?

I've been having blogger's block lately and can't think of anything interesting to write. Since I've only written twice this month so far, it's time I come up with something. I just checked my email and had a notification that there are now under eight months til my impending nuptials. Yay.....not. Let me make a few things perfectly clear. One, I am thrilled to death to be getting married. Two, I'm not an "anti-bride" by the warped definition of it. Three, I have most certainly not been dreaming of my wedding since I was a little girl.

First things first. It seems to me that there are two types of bride categories out there. The first is the range that goes from "I want this beautiful, romantic wedding that I have been envisioning since I was four" to the raving, "I said ecru not champagne!" bridezilla. I am most definitely not in this category. I had thought, originally, I was in the latter category, the "anti-bride" which ranges from "oh-ho, weddings are so silly, we're going to have a picnic under the stars and all of our guests will be so delighted with our whimsy!" to the "I just love my purple gown, its so funky, and my groom is dressed as a vampire, it's so different, its so us, I'm such an anti-bride!"

I don't fit in this category either. See, apparently, if you haven't spent your whole life dreaming of your wedding day, you are supposed to fall into the latter category as in, from what I gather, you don't like traditional wedding stuff. Well, I guess I'll just have to start a new category. One for brides who want to have a wedding in a church (or some other religious site), wear the white dress, invite their nearest and dearest, but just don't see the need to spend $25,000 on one day.

Personally, I want a traditional wedding. Get married in our church, white dress, champagne toast, dinner for our family and closest friends, ...I even wanted to leave the reception for our honeymoon.What I don't want is a white dress that I'm going to wear once that's going to run me $3,500. I don't want champagne that's $150 a bottle and balanced on top of an ice sculpture of my new last name. I don't want a freaking caviar station! I would love to know why dinner, music, and a couple of portraits are going to cost more than a new car.

I can't be the only bride out there who is sick to death of the wedding hoopla without hating the idea of a traditional wedding. If I get decent response to this post, I will be happy to start a second blog as a place to compile stuff for sane wedding planning. A site where brides posting about their dress that cost over $1000 will be laughed away.


3 comments:

  1. I think I am in the same category. It's supposed to be a happy celebration with your loved ones not a nuptual competition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you can have a traditional beautiful wedding without going crazy on the price! I just happened on your blog today as I was looking for something about Gettysburg. I very much enjoyed and I look forward to reading more when I have time.

    ReplyDelete